9/03/2010

Breaking Up Is Hard To Do Playlist


Compiling this list made me reflect on how similar mourning the death of a relationship is to mourning the death of a loved one.  If you're very, very lucky, you may finally achieve the poignant acceptance of moving on
(I'm Moving On, You're My Favorite Mistake), but first you have to pass through anger (Hit the Road Jack, Love Stinks), denial (I Ain't Missing You), negotiation (Baby Come Back, At This Moment), and regret (Even Now, Hard Habit to Break).  

Call me a hopeful romantic, but my favorites are the ones that, while acknowledging that both parties may have gone their Separate Ways, hold out the hope that maybe, Somewhere Down the Road, Against All Odds, things may yet work out.  Where there's love, there's hope ...!


  1. Achy Breaky Heart, Billy Ray Cyrus
  2. Against All Odds, Phil Collins
  3. Ain't No Sunshine, Bill Withers
  4. All By Myself, xxx
  5. All Out of Love, Air Supply
  6. Always on My Mind, Elvis Presley 
  7. At This Moment, Billy Vera
  8. Baby Come Back, Player
  9. Bluer Than Blue, Michael Johnson
  10. Burn, Usher
  11. Careless Whisper, George Michael
  12. Crazy, Patsy Cline
  13. Cry Me A River, Justin Timberlake
  14. Crying, Ray Orbison
  15. Damage Is Done, Foreigner
  16. Don't Speak, No Doubt
  17. Even Now, Barry Manilow
  18. Everybody Needs A Little Time Away, Chicago
  19. Every Rose Has Its Thorn, Poison
  20. Every Time We Say Goodbye, Rod Stewart
  21. Ex-Factor, Lauryn Hill
  22. First Cut is the Deepest, Rod Stewart
  23. Good Riddance, Green Day
  24. Goodbye Girl, Bread
  25. Goodbye to You, Scandal
  26. Hard Habit to Break, Chicago
  27. Hard to Say I'm Sorry, Chicago
  28. Heart of the Matter, Don Henley
  29. Heartbreak Hotel, Elvis Presley
  30. Hit the Road Jack, Ray Charles
  31. How Am I Supposed to Live Without You, Michael Bolton
  32. How Can You Mend a Broken Heart, Bee Gees
  33. How Do I Live, Trisha Yearwood
  34. Hurt, Nine Inch Nails
  35. Hurt So Bad, Little Anthony
  36. I Ain't Missing You, John Waite
  37. I Don't Care Anymore, Phil Collins
  38. I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues, Elton John
  39. I Heard It Through the Grapevine, Marvin Gaye
  40. I Hope You Dance, Lee Ann Womack
  41. I Was A Fool (to Let You Go), Barry Manilow
  42. I Will Remember You, Sarah McLachlan
  43. I Will Survive, Stephanie Bentley
  44. I Will Survive, Gloria Gaynor
  45. I Wonder Who's Kissing Her Now, Ray Charles
  46. If You Leave, OMD
  47. If You Leave Me Now, Chicago
  48. I'm Moving On, Rascal Flatts
  49. I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry, Hank Williams
  50. It Must Have Been Love, Roxette
  51. It's My Turn, Diana Ross
  52. It's Too Late, Carole King
  53. Last Goodbye, Jeff Buckley
  54. Look Away, Chicago
  55. Love Doesn't Live Here Anymore, Faith Hill
  56. Love on the Rocks, Neil Diamond
  57. Love Stinks, J. Geils Band
  58. Lyin' Eyes, Eagles
  59. Memory, Barbra Streisand
  60. My Favorite Mistake, Sheryl Crow
  61. My Heart Will Go On, Celine Dion
  62. New Attitude, Patti Lbelle
  63. One Last Cry, Brian McKnight
  64. Over You, Daughtry
  65. Please Don't Go, KWS
  66. Right Here Waiting, Richard Marx
  67. Send Her My Love, Journey
  68. Separate Ways, Journey
  69. She's Gone, Hall & Oates
  70. Since I Don't Have You, Skyliners
  71. Single Ladies, Beyonce
  72. Smoke Gets In Your Eyes, Louis Armstrong
  73. Somewhere Down the Road, Barry Manilow
  74. Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word, Elton John
  75. Stormy Weather, Lena Horne
  76. Take Good Care of My Baby, Bobby Vee
  77. These Boots Are Made For Walkin', Nancy Sinatra
  78. These Eyes, Guess Who
  79. Thnks Fr Th Mmrs, Fall Out Boy
  80. Tonight I Wanna Cry, Keith Urban
  81. Too Much Too Little Too Late, Johnny Mathis
  82. Total Eclipse of the Heart, Bonnie Tyler
  83. Tragedy, Bee Gees
  84. Unbreak My Heart, Tony Braxton
  85. Unchained Melody, Righteous Brothers
  86. Usta Be My Girl, O'Jays
  87. The Way We Were, Barbra Streisand
  88. We Just Disagree, Dave Mason
  89. What Hurts the Most, Rascal Flatts
  90. Whenever You Come Around, Vince Gill
  91. Wherever You Will Go, The Calling
  92. While You Loved Me, Rascal Flatts
  93. Wicked Game, Chris Isaak
  94. Yesterday, The Beatles
  95. You Give Love a Bad Name, Bon Jovi
  96. You Keep Me Hangin' On, Kim Wilde
  97. You Won't Forget Me, Carly Simon
  98. You'll Think of Me, Keith Urban
  99. You're Only Someone That I Used to Love, Natalie Cole
  100. You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling, Righteous Brothers
Did I omit your favorite breakup song? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment