9/06/2013

Most Romantic Lines From Literature


Hope others will enjoy this collection of swoon-worthy quotes from literature as much as I enjoyed compiling them!   Obviously there are thousands to choose from, so I've limited myself to classic literature and quotes that made my own heart give a little throb the first time I read them. 
  1. "Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.” - Catherine, Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte)
  2. "If he loved you with all the power of his soul for a whole lifetime, he couldn't love you as much as I do in a single day." - Heathcliff, Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte)
  3. "I pray one prayer--I repeat it till my tongue stiffens--Catherine Earnshaw, may you not rest as long as I am living; you said I killed you--haunt me, then! The murdered do haunt their murderers, I believe. I know that ghosts have wandered on earth. Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!" - Heathcliff, Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte)
  4. "A solemn passion is conceived in my heart; it leans to you, draws you to my centre and spring of life, wraps my existence about you–and, kindling in pure, powerful flame, fuses you and me in one.” - Mr. Rochester, Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte)
  5. "You should be kissed, and often, and by someone who knows how.” - Rhett Butler, Gone With The Wind (Margaret Mitchell)
  6. “You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone for ever. I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own than when you almost broke it, eight years and a half ago. Dare not say that man forgets sooner than woman, that his love has an earlier death. I have loved none but you." - Capt. Wentworth, Persuasion (Jane Austen)
  7. "If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day, so I never have to live without you." - Winnie the Pooh (A.A. Milne)
  8. But our love it was stronger by far than the love/Of those who were older than we-/Of many far wiser than we-/And neither the angels in heaven above,/Nor the demons down under the sea,/Can ever dissever my soul from the soul/Of the beautiful Annabel Lee. - Annabelle Lee (Edgar Allen Poe)
  9. "As you wish," Wesley, Princess Bride (William Goldman)
  10.  "No matter where you go. I will find you. No matter how long it takes, no matter how far, I will find you. " - Hawkeye, The Last of the Mohicans (James Fenimore Cooper)
  11. "My bounty is as boundless as the sea,/My love as deep; the more I give to thee,/The more I have, for both are infinite." - Juliet, Romeo & Juliet, Shakespeare
  12. "What did my arms do before they held you?" -Sylvia Plath
  13. "When I first met her, I knew in a moment I would have to spend the next few days re-arranging my mind so there'd be room for her to stay"- Gatsby, The Great Gatsby (F. Scott Fitzgerald)
  14. "Strephon kissed me in the spring,/Robin in the fall,/But Colin only looked at me/And never kissed at all.//Strephon's kiss was lost in jest,/Robin's lost in play,/But the kiss in Colin's eyes/Haunts me night and day." - Sara Teasdale

1 comment: