9/06/2013

Most Romantic Lines From Literature


Hope others will enjoy this collection of swoon-worthy quotes from literature as much as I enjoyed compiling them!   Obviously there are thousands to choose from, so I've limited myself to classic literature and quotes that made my own heart give a little throb the first time I read them. 
  1. "Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.” - Catherine, Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte)
  2. "If he loved you with all the power of his soul for a whole lifetime, he couldn't love you as much as I do in a single day." - Heathcliff, Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte)
  3. "I pray one prayer--I repeat it till my tongue stiffens--Catherine Earnshaw, may you not rest as long as I am living; you said I killed you--haunt me, then! The murdered do haunt their murderers, I believe. I know that ghosts have wandered on earth. Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!" - Heathcliff, Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte)
  4. "A solemn passion is conceived in my heart; it leans to you, draws you to my centre and spring of life, wraps my existence about you–and, kindling in pure, powerful flame, fuses you and me in one.” - Mr. Rochester, Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte)
  5. "You should be kissed, and often, and by someone who knows how.” - Rhett Butler, Gone With The Wind (Margaret Mitchell)
  6. “You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone for ever. I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own than when you almost broke it, eight years and a half ago. Dare not say that man forgets sooner than woman, that his love has an earlier death. I have loved none but you." - Capt. Wentworth, Persuasion (Jane Austen)
  7. "If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day, so I never have to live without you." - Winnie the Pooh (A.A. Milne)
  8. But our love it was stronger by far than the love/Of those who were older than we-/Of many far wiser than we-/And neither the angels in heaven above,/Nor the demons down under the sea,/Can ever dissever my soul from the soul/Of the beautiful Annabel Lee. - Annabelle Lee (Edgar Allen Poe)
  9. "As you wish," Wesley, Princess Bride (William Goldman)
  10.  "No matter where you go. I will find you. No matter how long it takes, no matter how far, I will find you. " - Hawkeye, The Last of the Mohicans (James Fenimore Cooper)
  11. "My bounty is as boundless as the sea,/My love as deep; the more I give to thee,/The more I have, for both are infinite." - Juliet, Romeo & Juliet, Shakespeare
  12. "What did my arms do before they held you?" -Sylvia Plath
  13. "When I first met her, I knew in a moment I would have to spend the next few days re-arranging my mind so there'd be room for her to stay"- Gatsby, The Great Gatsby (F. Scott Fitzgerald)
  14. "Strephon kissed me in the spring,/Robin in the fall,/But Colin only looked at me/And never kissed at all.//Strephon's kiss was lost in jest,/Robin's lost in play,/But the kiss in Colin's eyes/Haunts me night and day." - Sara Teasdale

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    My name is Karen and I work for StoryPeople by the author Brian Andreas. We are trying to clear up a matter where this story (listed in your Most Romantic Lines from Literature", called "Making Room", has been mistakenly attributed to F. Scott Fitzgerald. Could you tell me which quote site you found this on? Please email me karen at storypeople. Thank you for your interest in Brian's work.

    Karen

    StoryPeople by Brian Andreas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    My name is Karen and I work for StoryPeople by the author Brian Andreas. We are trying to clear up a matter where this story (listed in your Most Romantic Lines from Literature", called "Making Room", has been mistakenly attributed to F. Scott Fitzgerald. Could you tell me which quote site you found this on? Please email me karen at storypeople. Thank you for your interest in Brian's work.

    Karen

    StoryPeople by Brian Andreas

    ReplyDelete