10/08/2013

A Thousand Words - A Truly Awkward Monument

This is the Boy Scout Memorial located in Washington D.C.  I wish I was joking, but I'm not.  I'm sure the intent is noble, but there's so much wrong with this memorial, it's hard to know where to start.  Actually, no, it's pretty obvious where we need to start - the big naked guy standing right behind the boy scout, holding the big phallic symbol in one hand.  I realize times and mores change, but this was erected (no pun intended) in the 1960s, the era that brought us the sexual revolution, so someone really should have raised an eyebrow.  Given BSAs current hand-wringing over its policy of discriminating against homosexuals, the irony here is so blatant it's almost physically painful.   And then there's the lady flanking the scout on the other side, whose features resemble an old Pontiac hood ornament (could the bridge of her nose be any wider?) and whose outfit is reminiscent of Wonder Woman, except that - unlike the Linda Carter version - this one's nipples are clearly visible.  I have to ask, who designed this?  And how on Earth did it get approved?  Monuments are supposed to inspire reverence, aren't they?  All this one makes me want to do is warn that poor little boy scout in the lead that he's being stalked by a couple of perverts.

No comments:

Post a Comment